Dwarf Tomato Breeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwarf Tomato Breeding

A webinar by Craig Le Houllier on breeding dwarf tomatoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4z6...G7GNn7gNXevTos

Thank you. Craig LeHoullier’s clear simple explanations were particularly helpful for the genetically challenged!

Comment

Yes, tweezers, electric toothbrush (brush removed), a black spoon or a black plastic lid and it does not look any more difficult than crossing peas. Then a what to look out for in an F1. Also instructions to always cross to the short variety as short is recessive. This is like crossing to the pea with the recessive features as the mother, to see whether the cross has worked, for example to cross pollen from a green or purple variety to a yellow variety as the mother, to see whether there is a yellow pea in the F1 (cross not worked) or a green or purple or part purple in the F1 (cross has worked). Provided they are not both yellow peas of course. Or use the snap as the mother, if the other variety is mangetout or a shelling pea.

Then the useful list of dominant versus recessive traits in tomatoes, even what to do if you need two recessive features. And finally, the reassurance that once you have your desired recessive trait, in this case the shorter tomato, all offspring will have this trait, even though there are plenty of other traits still to select through more growouts before a stable new variety emerges. I really enjoyed this video and its clear and readily understandable information.

Comment

Yes indeed, all very illuminating and clarifying.

I'm not actually feeling that dwarf tomatoes are particularly suited to what I need in a tomato variety though I very much warm to the way the project was organised and how it developed. And of course the principles apply to all breeding and are a clear rule of thumb for peas, for example, as you say.

I guess the next stage for me is to have a clear list of recessive characteristics hard wired into my brain!

Have you done any tomato crossing? At the moment I'm rather overwhelmed with the number of available variations already in existence, and think I'll explore those for a year or two before thinking I might attempt to create something new.

Comment

No I haven't, but I respect and appreciate the efforts and successes of those who have, like Jayb on this group. What goes for tomatoes, at least the mechanics, but not the genetics, also goes for potato crossing. Same tools, same procedure.
          Last edited by Galina; 31-01-2021, 05:46.

Comment

Working...
          X