X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jayb
    replied
    Wow, I didn't think they had a hope, well done

For something so cute, they can be wretched little animals!

Leave a comment:

• Galina
    replied
    But I have a good news story too. The Christmas Limas plants that were all severed by voles (too big to go in bottles because I had started early). Well I stuffed the chewed ends into a pot and one of the plants did actually develop roots. Now planted out again. Fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

• Galina
    replied
    This is what a vole did to a mature plant above the bottle. Pity nothing could be saved. Purple flowers - too bad,

Leave a comment:

• Galina
    commented on 's reply
    I did! Loudly! Must google mole plough.
    Last edited by Galina; 30-06-2015, 16:34.

• jayb
    commented on 's reply
    There's something called a 'mole plough' used in agriculture to aid drainage on land. I've wondered about it once or twice but never got it until I saw water gushing out of a molehill - in times of high rain an amazing underground drainage system!

Eeew, I would have screeched!

• Galina
    commented on 's reply
    I don't think my emotions would be quite as split, I'm afraid. Although I am still horrified when years ago I pushed the fork into the soil energetically and it came out with a vole speared at the end. Urrgh!

• Galina
    commented on 's reply
    I think the problem is our clay where the mole runs stay intact (unnoticed under the ground) and then the voles use them as clandestine superhighway, going right past the nicest potato tubers.

• jayb
    replied
    Feel for you.
    Our dog dug up a nest the day, I spotted her too late to stop her destroying it and the contents, and although I felt horrid for the fate of the little ones, part of me was thinking oh well that's a few less to eat the veggies!

Leave a comment:

• Galina
    started a topic Voles again!

Voles again!

This would have been a nice potato, but some vole got there first! GRRRRRRR!
Working...
X