Harvesting and storing beetroot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvesting and storing beetroot.

I'm hoping for third time lucky growing Early Blood Turnip (beetroot) for seed. I've so far a nice selection of roots, should I harvest them now as it is likely voles and mice will start to do some damage soon, is it too early? How best to store them until next year?

Some of the beets, they are mostly a good size.

Click image for larger version

Name:	047.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	4112

Click image for larger version

Name:	048.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	4113

Comment

half and half perhaps. Take the biggest into safe store and leave the smaller ones for a bit longer and hope. I am so happy for you that they haven't been attacked so far. If the above smaller sized ones are the smallest, they should store fine as they are. What's the minimum number you need?

Comment

I was thinking to aim to pick the best 12 next year for planting. I'm just a little worried it's a tad too warm for them to store well just yet. I've an idea to build a stone store one day, though not much use for these beetroot and I've no idea how to go about it! I keep digging up big stones, which I put to one side, they are a bit irregular in shape and I'd like to use them for something.

I'm thinking of storing them in a dustbin to keep mice and such out,

Comment

Beetroot do of course store in the bottom of the fridge for ages, that would get around the weather. But I shouldn't think you have space there either - we never do. Dustbin in the coolest place out of sun. For some reason you are supposed to twist the tops off, rather than cutting. Anyway, the leaves are tasty too, just a little different from chard. They were practically all we had last year - lush growth coming out off seriously nibbled roots.

Comment

Lol, I'm maturing some cheeses in the fridge so space is always a premium, defo no room for beets too! I've a spot next to the shed, which has an old stone wall and bank by the side of it which stays pretty much shaded. I'll make it my project for the weekend, hopefully I can eat the smaller ones

I think my voles have been distracted by feasting on sweetcorn and peas so far, and they did rob my two Kifli x PPE tps berries too, gutted. Anyway I hope the roots make it, they are a lovely beetroot, can't imagine why they became so rare.

Comment

Fingers crossed they remain safely stored in the sand until the spring

Comment

Working...
              X